How We Can Help

We provide free legal services for low-income residents of Ontario

Contact us to get in touch with us for help.

We can help with your problems with:

  • Employment law – such as employment standards, employment insurance, and wrongful dismissal
  • Housing law (for tenants or co-op members only – not landlords) – such as evictions
  • Immigration (not refugee claims) – such as sponsorships and permanent resident status
  • Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) – such as applying for ODSP or problems once you are getting it including overpayments, terminations, etc.
  • Ontario Works (OW) – such as applications and problems once you are getting it including overpayments, terminations, etc.
  • Canada Pension Plan (CPP-Disability or regular CPP)

We also give legal information presentations to community agencies and members of the public.

If we can’t help you, we will try to refer you to someone who can.

We can’t help you with . . .

Click on the links above for information on getting help from Legal Aid Ontario.

How We Help

We start with advice for your problem.  Some people need more help than advice.  Sometimes we will help you by preparing documents (for example, an application to the Landlord and Tenant Board).

And sometimes we can represent you in a court or at a tribunal, such as the Social Benefits Tribunal or the Landlord and Tenant Board.

We start with advice and then assess for what additional services we can provide for you.

Financial Eligibility

We can only help you if you are living on a low income. However, we may be able to provide some summary advice even if your income is higher than our limits, so call us.

If your main source of income is one of the following, then you qualify financially for our service:

  • Ontario Works (OW)
  • Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP)
  • Old Age Security Pension with Guaranteed Income Supplement
  • War Veterans’ Allowance
  • Canada Pension Plan (where CPP is the primary source of family income)
  • Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) which are temporary or threatened

Financial eligibility is mostly based on family size and family income.  Eligibility also depends on the assets you own.

There are discretionary factors which are taken into consideration. For example, a single person with no children, with the maximum discretionary factors, could have an income up to $21,144 per year. A single parent with two children, with the maximum discretionary factors, could have a family income up to $39,143 per year.